Is there a cure for this inability to move…this choice of sitting that is not laziness but paralysis?
After all, this gap can cause life to stop and end up being more damaged than an action with rejection.
Here are a few ways to take action and fill the gap
- Start small. None of these work unless you take action, so start something towards the event that paralyzes you. Sometimes the event or goal is urgent that going into attack mode seems like the only way. Starting small gets the ball rolling and opens up new opportunities that are small successes.
- Chunk it down. This may seem exactly like the first but it has some differences. This is taking one goal and setting it out into steps. Attach dates to the steps and whenever you don’t make a deadline, give yourself a verbal warning. Readjust future deadlines and keep going.
- Blindside yourself. This is actually fun. Pick something that you know nothing about and get involved with it. For example, volunteer someplace for short time period a week for an organization that provides a service for certain individuals that cannot help themselves; something that is bigger than you. It could be for just 2 hours/week. Do not think that the organization will not take your help. Most are appreciative for any they can get. While you are there, concentrate on doing things to help that are outside of your comfort zone. It is the key to filling the gap.
- Build a quick sales pitch for yourself. When I heard this one, just 2 days ago, I decided to work on it. Think of how you introduce yourself when someone asks “What is your name?” and start your QSP (quick sales pitch) on paper. For example, “My name is ___ ________, and I go all-out to be the best in my field. My purpose is to serve others to the best of my capacity with integrity and strength, while striving to provide service as if I were regarded as the industry’s best.” If you actually memorize it, every time you meet someone in person or on the phone, the whole affirmation will come to you and set your course to be your best.
- Work it backwards from the visualized goal. This is one that I believe is not utilized enough. The ability to take a result and work backwards, step by step, to map your path. It is where society has gone wrong many times, by not having “cause and effect” thinking. The ends must justify the means.
These are just a few. I am sure that there are many. Please feel free to add more in the comments that have helped you. If you do, they may help someone else.